July Favourites





I’m pretty sure I say this about every month, but how quick has July gone? One second I’m having the most wonderful getaway to Greece and now here we are, mid August with the Olympics well under way… Wtf. But one thing is for sure: July was a great one. Myself and the boyf had an amazing time relaxing, eating and reading the week away in Samos earlier in the month and I guess having a bit of a tan made this month a lot perkier. But as usual, there were a few bits and bobs I kept using over and over so let’s get going. PRE WARNING: these could be a bit holiday inspired, but I’m not quite out of the Greece honeymoon period, so bare with, kk?




First up is, of course, Harry Potter and The Cursed Child book by JK Rowling (and John Tiffany and Jack Thorne.) Hey, you’ve probably heard aaaaall about this- it may have even annoyed you that its polluted Twitter feeds repeatedly this month but being a Potter hardcore fan (and Brit), my July favourites wouldn’t have been the same without Harry’s acknowledgement. As a pre-warning if you haven’t read this book already, it is the script for the London play of Harry Potter and The Cursed Child so it does take a little getting used to. This note aside, I thoroughly enjoyed falling back into the whimsical word of magic that is filled with more potions, broomsticks and spells than you could shake a wand at. Yes it wasn’t ever going to be the phenomenon of the original seven books, but as something I was glued to while I was away in Greece I loved this book and I am personally thanking JK Rowling and her clever marketing team for letting me indulge in my favourite childhood past time. Potter love lasts forever.



High Waisted Bikini: Missguided


I sometimes find Missguided really hit or miss in terms of the quality of their clothing, but this beautiful mesh number has easily been one of the best swimsuit purchases I’ve made. The bottom of my stomach has always been an area of my body that I’ve hated so this high waisted style made me feel so much more comfortable whilst I was on holiday. It kept all the lumps and bumps in sucked in whilst also highlighting my waist, plus I’m a sucker for black mesh so really it was always going to be a killer combo. While originally you could only buy this as a set, ASOS are selling them as separates- the top looks great thrown on with shorts when you’re in need of a Mojito drink break at the beach bar. Dreamy




 Espadrilles: ASOS | Shorts: Topshop


Espadrilles are having a bit of a moment and they don’t get any better than these embellished ASOS beauties. When I saw them online I instantly fell in love with the Chanel style gold and pearl detailing and thought they’d be the perfect evening footwear contribution. Turns out I was definitely right. Whenever I looked down at my feet these lovelies were smiling back at me shimmering perfectly with their lace up leg detailing. Thank you ASOS for creating the perfect summer shoes EVA. Topshop also did me a favour with these cute summery palm style print shorts. Having big ol’ hips and a smaller waist, finding trousers and shorts are a nightmare so when these shorts slipped on and fitted like a glove I knew they’d be my go-to summer shorts. The light colouring highlighted my little Greek glow perfectly and the length was just right: not short enough to show everyone my chuds but also not too long that they’d have a weird mini/culoutte cut off point.




 Lipstick: Tom Ford (in Spanish Pink) | Eyebrow Gel: Gimme Brow in Medium by Benefit
Shimmer Brick: Bobbi Brown



In terms of makeup this month, I’ve been all about the natural ‘oh, I haven’t got much make up on’ (even though I definitely have) kinda vibe. I think there’s something about having a bit of bronzed skin that makes everything better: annoying blemishes have vanished, I no longer look like Edward Cullen as I’ve finally got some colour on my cheeks, and after lathering so much after sun on my skin for so long my skin has never felt so healthy and hydrated. So this month I’ve stripped back my makeup and have gone in on the basics and laid off the black liquid liners and dark lips. This Bobbi Brown shimmer brick has been the perfect holiday contribution to my holiday makeup: where usually I go for pink/pearly finish highlighter this gold/metallic tone highlighter has complimented my skin perfectly when I couldn’t be bothered to apply foundation and bronzer. Next up is the Gimme Brow eyebrow gel from Benefit. I love a good strong brow but it’s so easy to go OTT on the brows- we all know someone who does- so this tinted gel is the perfect product to start with to really define your brows. I still use MAC shadow in Charcoal Brown to fill arch but I am now an avid user of using the Gimme Brow for the more annoying/harder to look natural hairs at the start of the brow. Cara Delevigne, you will forever remain my eyebrow idol. Last but by no means least, this absolute godsend travel sized Tom Ford lipstick is so divine it hurts. Hey, I didn’t even know Tom Ford did travel style lipsticks but when my best mate bought me this badboy, it felt like Christmas came early. I’m not one for a light/dusty pink lip but I am now a complete convert as this was the perfect summery colour I’ve been wearing throughout July every single day. Long live Tom Ford cosmetics.


  

What would my July favourites be without Greece? Going away with the better half for a week and having a wonderful long weekend with my best mate meant Greece has become one of my favourite places in the world. Thank you Greece, and to all the wonderful people who made it so welcoming, for the perfect summer getaways. I’ll see you the same time next year.


Blogger of the month- Sophie Milner AKA Fashion Slave



If there is one blogger who I look to for not only their sartorial choices, but for their thought provoking and somewhat sassy posts- it’s Sophie Milner AKA creator of Fashion Slave. Having stumbled across Sophie’s blog in 2014 I fell instantly fell in love with the way she makes fashion so approachable with her easy to wear style and the tone and personality of her blog. I go to her blog to laugh with her at her at the out takes of holiday bikini photos we all have, feel frustrated with her about all the stereotypical things that happen day to day but also feel complete elation that she is now working for a company part time so can put more time into her amazing blog. Congrats on an amazing achievement Sophie, and please keep making amazing content that will make me laugh, think, question and high five everything you write every time I click on your blog. Go guuuuurl. Check out Sophie's amazing blog here 

Quote of the Month

'Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat' - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Summer, why can't you last forever? 

A x

You may also like:

Post a Comment

© Fashion Captive. Design by MangoBlogs.