August Favourites





Better late than never, have a look at what I’ve been reaching for throughout all of August... 

Victoria
Catch up on ITV player and BBC iPlayer


The love story of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert is one of the most famous royal romances in our British history, and while I do have a soft spot for history and our monarchs in particular, I knew quite little of the ins and outs of their marriage and Queen Victoria’s life before this series started. Yes undoubtedly things will be over exaggerated, over-embellished and over the top at times (this is prime time TV afterall) I’ve fallen completely in love with ITV’s epic new drama Victoria. There is something about the nail-biting slowness of pace- a catch of the eye, a touch of the hand- and the hovering over one another that only adds to the tenderness of the moments between Queen Victoria and Albert. Not only have I fallen in love with the productions costumes and cast, it has given me- and I think the country- even more the reason to admire Queen Victoria through this modern and thrilling whirlwind romantic piece of performance. If you’ve been under a rock the last month or if you’re a sucker for a period drama and somehow haven’t watched this, then definitely get this on your radar, you won’t regret it for a second. (PS. Developing a secret crush on Prince Albert is totally acceptable.)



September Vogue



Autumn/Winter season is officially upon us and I’ve been getting whole-heartedly in the spirit of it this month by getting my mits on this months Vogue magazine. September is always the biggie in the fashion calendar- fashion weeks are well under way, new lines are dropping in-store and it’s the first time we start putting away cute bandeaus in favour for thick chunky scarves and woolly hats. This season is littered with trends that scream wear-ability and I’m excited to share the little trend guide I’ve been putting together this weekend. Vogue has been such a good inspiration sourcer and I've also been impressed with ASOS's latest magazine offering to get us into the cold season spirit. Autumn evenings, mulled wine, bonfire night, Christmas excitement, delicious roast dinners, open fires on a cold day, burgundy lips and the sound of frosted grass crunching underfoot on a fresh morning…. I am so ready for you.


Champagne Satin Cami
 

Buy it the dress here


I have been all over the cami trend recently- I think they’re so wearable and this Champagne coloured beauty from Missguided has been my favourite that I’ve picked up in a while. The satin finish and champagne colour of this dress adds a bit of luxurious glamour compared to just cotton black camis with a bit of lace detailing. I’ve worn this out to dinner with just some high-heeled ankle boots and sleeveless trenches but also just with t-shirts, tights and my DMs during the day- they really are the perfect item to easily dress up or down. If you’re looking to get a cami that will also translate into the winter months, Missguided have also released some Velvet versions that are just too beautiful to not pick up and wear to the Christmas party in December.


Cosmetics: Tea Tree Water by Lush | Perfume: Eurphoria by Calvin Klein | Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Bare




After noticing so many new Calvin Klein Margot Robbie Euphoria campaigns littered around the airport last month, I thought it was time I indulged in some new perfume. After taking a whiff of the new Euphoria cologne I concluded that although it smelt beautiful, you cannot beat the original smell of their first Euphoria scent. It has an almost oriental scent that has fresh exotic fruits, seductive floral notes and a rich luxurious signature that brings it altogether, and although I’d say its more of an evening, musky scent this has definitely been getting in the mood for winter.



Another refounded beauty product I’ve been using everyday is the Bobbi Brown Art Sticks in Bare. Personally I’m not the biggest fan of overly peach, pink and warm lipsticks so this Art Stick is the most ideal colour for me as it has the everyday wearability with a beautiful blue cool undertone. I’ve been reaching for this glorified lip crayon all the time lately- I find it really moisturising on the lips (especially compared to MAC’s matte lip colours that are notoriously drying), it applies so smoothly without any flaking or chipping and it has really good longevity throughout the day. This is the ultimate lip product if you’re like me in that your handbag is a sea of lip balm tins and lipsticks- it’s unapologetically chubby and easy to use, and it has quickly become my hero everyday nude lippy.



As you all know by now I’m a sucker for Lush Cosmetics, and when I nipped into their store recently I picked up two new products to have a go with. First up was the Ultrabland Facial Cleanser, that I’m super sorry to say, I wasn’t that impressed with, and second was the Tea Tree Toner Water. Now we all know the benefits of tea tree oil- spot soothing, gentle, fresh, clean to name just a few qualities- but this stuff is such a great everyday toner that I have not stopped reaching for this month. After taking off all my makeup, I squirt a load of this on a cotton pad and rub my face in long downward stripes across all of my face. Afterwards, it makes my skin feel so much more awake, hydrated, clean and fresher than when I just use my regular exfoliator and moisturising routine. I’ve found my spots have been pretty much non existent this month that I think is mainly down to this badboy- it doesn’t break the bank so it’s definitely worth a go if you want a gentle toner that cleans your face and keeps all those little spots we all get, at bay.


Satin Chocker & Skinny Star Scarf 

 Buy the chocker here | Buy the scarf here


A chocker... ‘That’s not ground breaking’ I hear you say but this simple satin necklace from ASOS hasn’t been off my neck this month. I’ve been wearing it with shirts, dresses, t-shirts and everything in between. (It also makes my neck look a bit thinner so cya awkward chin rolls!) The same applies for this super cute skinny scarf from Forever21. I still love a bit of a seventies influence in my outfits and this starry print scarf is the perfect accessory to add a splash of print into any outfit. It also looks killer with a bright red/orange lip.


Website of the Month: everydaysexism.com
 Visit the site here


I won’t get into the ins and outs about feminists as everyone seems to have an opinion on whether they want to be labelled as one of not. While I think that if you feel that women should have the right to be treated as equals you are a feminist, I found the brilliant Every Day Sexism Project online. Founded in 2012 by Laura Bates- a brilliant feminist writer- its prime aim was to document examples of sexism around the world. As someone who has had so many incidents of sexism happen to me on hundreds of occasions, it felt reassuring to know that I wasn’t the only one going through the same situations, but equally as horrifying. Some examples are the everyday wolf whistle down the street, other have a more sinister turn, but it has opened my eyes to the world of sexism and how much it influences not only me, but women across the world. This has become a favourite of mine this month as I encourage anyone to go on the site, read other experiences, document your own and let us all come together as the amazing girl gang that we are and stand up to everyday sexism. #SQUAD

Quote of the month

'Life isn’t about getting and having, it’s about giving and being'
 –Kevin Kruse 


Happy Friday my loves! 

A x 















You may also like:

Post a Comment

© Fashion Captive. Design by MangoBlogs.